Useful Information About Motoring in Cyprus

  • As in the UK, motor insurance is compulsory by law.
  • Front seat belts for driver and passenger are compulsory. Occupants should also fasten seatbelts in the rear if they are fitted.
  • It is compulsory for all children under the age of five to sit in the back, strapped into a proper child car seat. Children from five to ten years of age may occupy the front passenger seat provided a child’s seat belt has been fitted.
  • Using a mobile phone while driving is prohibited unless using a “hand-free” unit.
  • Horns must not be used between 22:00-6:00, hooting near a hospital is forbidden at any time of day.
  • The drink drive limit is lower than in the UK at 22 micrograms per 100ml.
  • The writing, attaching or displaying of any object, for example a tax disc, on the windscreen of a vehicle is prohibited.
  • It is prohibited to park other than in the direction of traffic flow.
  • Speed Limits:
    • Motorways – 100km/h
    • Regional roads 80km/h
    • Built up areas (towns and villages): 50km/h
  • Speeding is penalised by a fine:
    • Speeds between up to 30% over the limit – fine €1 per km/h of the recorded speed.
    • Speeds between 31% and 50% over the limit – fine €2 per km/h of the recorded speed.
    • Speeds between 51% and 75% over the limit – fine €3 per km/h of the recorded speed.
    • Speeds over 75% – Determined by the court.

Driving Licences

  • Cyprus accepts the driving licences of all EU Member States and any person with a valid UK licence may drive legally on it in Cyprus. According to EU rulings, old driving licences issued before 1996 do not have to be exchanged for the new Community Model and remain valid until their expiry.
  • EU citizens with an EU licence who are resident in Cyprus may convert their driving licence to a Cyprus licence after six months. The old licence will be returned to the issuing authority. Cyprus licences are issued via the Department of Road Transport.
  • Non-EU citizens may drive on valid foreign licences for a fixed short period (e.g. for those with a US licence the period is six months). Please consult the relevant Consular authority for more information.

Road Tax

  • Road Tax (also known as circulate fee) can be purchased for 6 or 12 months and is paid to the ‘Department of Motor Vehicles’.
  • The amount will vary depending on the age of the vehicle and the size of the engine. Payments can be made at the Road Transport Office, make sure you take your logbook, passport and driving licence with you.
  • Alternatively this can be done on-line using the link below.


NB the “Owners reference number” is the last digits of your ID. You will also need to use the ID on the logbook (section C.9):

MOT or Vehicle Roadworthiness

  • The Department of Road Transport (DORT) roadworthiness test must be carried out on any car older than four years and then at two year intervals thereafter. The roadworthiness tests are not required for motor bikes.
  • The test includes an emissions check and checks of suspension, brakes, steering, lights and tyres.
  • If you vehicle is properly registered and the department of Transport has your current address, and you have failed to submit the vehicle for testing, you may receive a notification, in Greek, that the test was due. DO NOT wait for this to happen as it could be a month after the MOT is due. You should start the process yourself: driving without a valid roadworthiness disc can lead to prosecution and not receiving a reminder is not an acceptable excuse.
  • Below is a link of test stations in Cyprus. They are usually well advertised. Unfortunately the list is only currently available in Cypriot, however, the phone numbers may still come in handy.


The numbers are separated into towns in the following order:

Nicosia, Limassol, Larnaca, Paphos, Famagusta

If you do not receive notification, you should go through the same procedure. Non receipt of the reminder will not provide any defence should you be prosecuted.

  • Take the vehicle registration document and the fee (currently €34.17) to a testing station authorised to carry out the test.
  • The result is entered on the DoRT database immediately and a certificate is issued. The certificate is valid for TWO years from the date of issue.

Importing Your Car

  • If you wish to transfer a used private vehicle to Cyprus from an EU Member State you are required to furnish proof of 12 consecutive month’s residence outside the Republic of Cyprus. Prior to becoming a Cypriot resident. You will also need to present evidence of permanent residence in the Republic.
  • The term ‘used vehicle’ means a vehicle which has been driven for more than 6,000 Km (3,800 miles) and is more than six months old when it enters the Republic of Cyprus, calculated from the date of the first registration of the vehicle in whichever country.
  • Excise duty is payable on imported vehicles, (amount varies). However it is possible to avoid this in certain circumstances. The requirements for avoiding excise duty when transferring a vehicle to Cyprus are explained below.
  • 1. You must have owned and used the vehicle from your place of normal residence for at least six months prior to taking up residency in Cyprus.
  • 2. You must have acquired the vehicle under the general conditions of taxation applicable in the Member State and it must not have qualified for any relief from or refund of any duty, excise duty or VAT (as evidenced, for example, by production of the invoice, the receipt for the purchase of the vehicle and the title of ownership).
  • 3. The vehicle must arrive in the Cyprus within 12 months of the date you take up permanent residence in Cyprus.
  • 4. In order to qualify for relief from excise duty, you must submit a written application to any Customs and Excise Department and produce the following documents:
  • a. certificates pertaining to the registration of the vehicle (vehicle insurance, the purchase invoice, the certificate of ownership, the receipt for the purchase)
  • b. the loading list receipt
  • c. a valid driving licence
  • d. supporting evidence relating to the country of normal residence (income tax statements, social insurance statements, employment letters, bills, receipts of daily expenses, water bills, electricity bills, telephone bills, bank account statements, etc)
  • Persons who wish to effect a transfer are advised to contact the Department of Customs and Excise for detailed information.
  • A person who transfers a vehicle to Cyprus in accordance with the requirements set out above must go to the customs station within 24 hours of the arrival of the vehicle (excluding non-working days) to settle the customs procedure for the relief from excise duties.
  • A person who effects a transfer should contact the Road Traffic Department for information about the provisions on vehicle registration tax and road tax.
  • As stated above registration tax and road tax vary according to engine size. In order to be registered in Cyprus, a vehicle being transferred by a European citizen must be given a technical inspection by a private technical inspection centre before undergoing the relevant inspection by a state Technical Inspection Centre.
  • After the vehicle has passed both of the technical inspections it can be registered in accordance with the relevant legislation. A private motor vehicle may be registered in the Republic regardless of its age subject to the furnishing of documentation proving that the first registration of the vehicle occurred in an EU Member State.
  • Left-hand drive vehicles may be registered provided the applicant has owned the vehicle for at least 180 days before its arrival in Cyprus and resided abroad for more than five years before s arrival in Cyprus.
  • Below is a link to another website which you may find helpful as it covers all aspects of driving in Cyprus from learning, to being fined, to taxing your vehicle:


Useful Information About Medical Expenses in Cyprus

The Health System

Cypriot Ministry of Health is responsible for health care and provides state-financed healthcare services in Cyprus. This is centrally funded through general taxation. The doctors are good and treatment is of a high quality. The Cyprus Health system is different to that of other western European countries however in that specialist treatment and drugs may not be available locally and could require travel to Nicosia. There are no paramedics in ambulances.

There are five large public hospitals and three small rural hospitals in Cyprus. In addition, there are a considerable number of private facilities providing care through insurance or on a fee for service basis.

State health care benefits are “means-tested” and you will only qualify for free health care if your income is below 15,400 euros per year (about £11,150). If you income is higher than this then you will have to pay in part or in full for your treatment.

If you income does exceed this amount private medical expenses insurance (often known as medex) is strongly recommended.

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

Your EHIC lets you get healthcare at a reduced cost or sometimes for free. It will cover you for treatment that is needed to allow you to continue your stay until your planned return. It also covers you for treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and for routine maternity care, as long as you’re not going abroad to give birth.

If you find yourself in an emergency during your visit in Europe dial 112. The European emergency number is valid in all EU/EEA member states and is free of charge. You can use it to reach emergency services such as ambulance or police from any telephone or mobile phone free of charge.

Neither your EHIC, E106 or E121 form is valid in the areas of the Republic of Cyprus in which the Government of the Republic does not exercise control (the northern part of Cyprus). You are strongly advised to take out private health insurance before travelling to this part of the country.

Non EEA nationals are covered for emergency treatment only and you will have to pay for in patient treatment. The ministry of health will be able to provide information:

Ministry of Health
Medical & Public Health Services
10 Markou Drakou
1448 Nicosia

Non-EU Resident

If you move to an EU country, including Cyprus, from a non-EU country you will not qualify for the EHIC and you will need private medical insurance in order to register with immigration to live in Cyprus.

The following numbers may also be useful:

Department of Customs:
Tel: (++357) 22 601 657 and (++357) 22 601 658.

Road Traffic Department:
Tel: (++357) 22 807 000 and (++357) 22 807 117

Citizen Service Centres, Paphos CSC 62, Elefterios Venizelos Avenue 8021
Tel: 00357 26 822 400
E-mail: keppafos@papd.mof.gov.cy

British Embassy:
British nationals who need emergency assistance outside normal office hours should call
00357 22 861 100

Paphos Police
Tel: 00357 26 806 060

Paphos General Hospital
Tel: 00357 26 803 100

We hope this information is of help to you. It is regularly reviewed and updated and we believe it to be entirely accurate at any one time. However, you are strongly advised to check your own position with the relevant Cypriot authorities, as TopQuotes cannot accept any responsibility for injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from the information on this page.